Sunday, December 12, 2010

Define "classic".

I have never seen "It's A Wonderful Life." Not all the way through anyway. Nor have I seen "Holiday Inn" or "White Christmas" or basically any traditional version of "A Christmas Carol." What could be considered even more potentially sacrilegious is that I'm not certain I have any interest in seeing them either.
On the other hand, I have seen "Scrooged" many times. (In fact, I am watching as I type this.) I can recite portions of "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" from memory with little provocation. I really enjoyed "The Ref" and "Die Hard". And it as almost become tradition to have the "A Christmas Story" marathon on as background noise while wrapping presents on Christmas Eve.
The point of this is: What defines a "holiday classic"?
Few if anyone would argue that the movies in the first paragraph are classics. But why? Because Turner Classic Movies told us they were? Maybe because these are the movies we associate with memories and feelings and ideals of what Christmas is supposed to be. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not... me, I guess. I suppose I look at the holidays different than some... or better yet, I react to different stimuli. I get my holiday spirit from movies like these, or more contemporary versions of Christmas songs, or things like that. A lot of other people I know feel the same as me. So I guess that raises the question... Is a "classic" whatever an individual perceives it to be, or has the definition of a "classic" expanded to include these modern movies and songs that have endeared themselves to us over the years, however fewer there were? Or maybe it's best not to concentrate on titles and surround ourselves with the things and people, whatever they are, that put us in the holiday spirit.

1 comment:

  1. As far as the holidays are concerned, it is not Xmas to me without watching Scrooged. Dave finally let me let Eddie watch it last year. He laughed himself silly at Carol Kane. I think a classic (where holidays are concerned) are anything that makes us feel nostalgic for a simpler time; a time when we still believed in Santa Claus.

    I haven't seen any of the movies you noted as classics either. Yes, I think the term classic has (as it should have) expanded to include more modern movies. Scrooged, Elf, A Christmas Story, Dr Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas, A Charlie Brown Christmas - these are holiday musts at our house.

    ReplyDelete